Tuesday, 21 March 2017

I'm In Your Corner (Mental Health Campaign)

Hello loves!

In today's post i'm going to be talking all about the new Time To Change campaign called In Your Corner.

This campaign is aimed towards younger people as Time To Change have done some research and discovered that the understanding of Mental Health in younger age groups is still poor. This may seem shocking to some of us as people are more open about mental health now more than ever. I definantly believe that by us telling our stories we can change the way people see mental illness.

So, is it really that easy as a young person to tell someone they're struggling?

Here's my story... You may want to grab a cup of tea as this will be quite a lengthy post!

Although I was only diagnosed professionally in my late teens when I had finally plucked up the courage to talk to a doctor about my mental health I do believe that my battle with it has been going on for pretty much my whole life. I feel this way because I remember being so anxious every night before I was due to go into primary school and being on the way there almost every morning crying or faking sick because I would dread going in. Obviously at the time no one really thought anything of it because I guess that is quite common of young children and if I'm honest I never really thought much of it myself until I was old enough to realise the signs of anxiety.

Pretty soon I was starting secondary school and it wasn't until later on in my years there that I began to realise something was truly wrong. I remember going for tests on my heart because most days it felt like it was trying to jump out of my chest and I had put that down to there being something wrong with me rather than accepting that it was anxiety. I also was diagnosed with depression around the same time.

Even now it's quite difficult to look back at that time in my life because although I was so happy there was also a part of me that was totally destroyed by my mental health. Apart from when something bad had happened I always hid my sadness as best as I could. This isn't because I didn't love or trust the people around me it was because I was afraid of judgement and showing any sign of weakness. However, because I never really spoke much about it I do believe that by not speaking up I allowed my mental health to ruin some relationships with people I cared about because I was too afraid to tell them why sometimes I just didn't want to go outside of my house.

I never truly sat down face to face with anyone and opened up completely until I got with my current boyfriend Karl. I remember we where sat in his room and he kept asking how I was because he knew something was wrong and he could completely see past my 'no, i'm fine!' lie. He asked until suddenly I broke down crying and opened up to him about exactly how I was feeling. I've never felt so scared but relieved all at once. Scared because I was opening up, relieved because I was releasing feelings I had built up for years. After that I've definantly become more open about 'bad days' and that moment also gave me the confidence to talk publicly about my struggles because he made me see that being honest about mental illnesses doesn't always come with judgement and fear that you won't be taken seriously.

It's so important that especially in today's society we look out for each other with stats showing that 1 in 10 children and young people will suffer from a mental illness varying from age 5-16. This means that you are possibly close to someone who could be suffering. If you notice that someone you love has started acting differently then please let them know that you are there for them and that you are in their corner, you never know just how much it can positively effect them!

Thank you so much for reading,

Katie Ellen. xxx

Find Time To Change here and get involved! 



SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Brilliant! So clear and thoughtful and helpful. Thank you so much ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your comment so much! Thank you :-)

      Delete

© Katie Ellen. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig